The best way to look after your complexion is to create a skincare routine that works for you. From morning to night, your skin faces a lot – so ensuring it’s protected, nourished and well cleansed will keep it looking fresher, and more youthful, for longer!
Now, it’s pretty obvious that you don’t need to use sunscreen before you go to bed, and that ‘night creams’ are usually avoided in your AM cleanse - but that doesn’t mean that your morning and evening skincare routines should differ completely. There are certainly ways to save time and money by using the same products – even in the same order – both morning and night!
Your skincare routine will be extremely dependant on your skin type, your budget, how much time you have, and the end result you’re aiming for. Each one is like a fingerprint – unique to you – and although there are hundreds of professionals telling what is best, only you know what suits your skin and your lifestyle. From acne treatment, to anti-aging, to treating dry skin or even discoloration, we all need a different focus when it comes to our skincare routine.
Here at Cel, we’ve put together a simple morning and evening skincare routine which means you can keep your time in front of the mirror nice and short.
Morning Skincare Routine
Your main priority in your morning skincare routine is sun protection. Even if it’s not sunny! Your goal in the morning is to protect your skin from the various rays (UVA and UVB) that make you age much faster, which can penetrate the skin’s layers even on cloudy days. This, in turn, also shields your complexion from damaging pollutants and harsh free-radicals the air around you.
To keep your morning routine as short as possible, giving you that crucial extra 10 minutes in bed, look for a daily sunscreen with at least an SPF 50, and one that is lightweight and absorbs into the skin quickly. You want one that doesn’t leave your face greasy and creates a smooth, matte base for you to then apply your make-up.
If your skin is very dry, dehydrated or acne-prone, you may want to add a hyaluronic acid or spot-treatment into the mix, but the idea for your AM routine is to stick to the essentials only!
Here’s our recommended morning routine:
- Cleanser: Start the day by cleansing your skin of any sweat, dirt and oil that may have accumulated during the night. Pick a cleanser that’s right for your skin type, and one that’s good for replenishing moisture. If it leaves your skin feeling tight, it’s too harsh for you.
- CEF Serum: A combination of Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Ferulic Acid boosts the effect of any subsequent sun protection and free-radical protection you apply.
- Moisturising Sunscreen: Wear it every single day. Rain or shine. UV rays can penetrate windows and clouds and even reflect off of snow, so until it’s dark outside, your skin will be in contact with UV rays!
Evening Skincare Routine
Your morning routine may be all about protection… but your evening skincare routine is all about REPAIR. You see, no matter how much you protect your skin and keep it out of harm’s way in the day time, it will always suffer a small amount of damage. From the UV that gets through your sunscreen, to the toxins and pollutants in the city air, every time your skin comes into contact with any harsh conditions, it will suffer.
Your evening skincare routine is the perfect opportunity to use ingredients that help the skin repair itself, and boosts collagen production. This is where our expertly formulated Plant Stem Cell products comes in. The patented nano-technology in our skin care range helps to rejuvenate and restore any damaged skin cells from the deepest layers of your skin.
While you’re in bed, it’s a good time to use thicker, more durable products, too – as they have time to sink into the skin fully and truly get to work. That’s why most eye creams are best to use at night, when your lids are softly shut and the ingredients can really penetrate the skin.
Here’s our recommended evening routine:
- Make-up removal and cleansing: If you wear make-up during the day, it’s CRUCIAL to remove it properly before you go to bed. Try using an oil-based cleanser to easily remove all remnants of make-up, then a water-based one to wash off any residue from the oil cleanser.
- Retinol: If you’re over 25, using a retinol at night will boost collagen production and fight the onset of wrinkles.
- Eye Cream: At night is the best time to apply a specific eye cream. The skin around our eyes is the most delicate, so ages the quickest.
- Moisturizer: Seal everything in with a good moisturizer! Find ones that are packed with antioxidants and soothing ingredients to hydrate, protect and nourish your skin.
What if you want to add more to your routine?
Adding more products to your routine is great if you have a specific need, or want to try something new that you’ve seen. It’s also good to remember that there are certain products and steps of the routine that can really help boost your skin’s condition, but don’t need to be used everyday. For example, weekly face masks using our Nanotech Stem Cell Face Masks can give your face a nourishing and restoring boost to protect and rejuvenate your skin between uses.
When adding in more products, just remember these rules:
- Always apply the lightest textured products first, leaving the heavier ones until last. If you use a heavy product as the base layer, all other products will struggle to get through.
- If you want to add quite a few products, try to alternate them throughout the week rather than using them all in one day. Using too many products at once can cause irritation and won’t deliver the desired effect.
Morning equals protection. Evening equals repair. Remember that, and you’re set! Keep it short and simple, don’t over-complicate things, and remember that it’s worth investing in good products for your skin. After all, it’s going to represent you for a very long time!